Blackberry Cobbler (Egg-free)
Imagine yourself in the position I was in on Monday afternoon.
I am in Farmboy, a store somewhat akin to U.S. Whole Foods, standing in front of the discount-food rack (one of my favourite shopping spots) where they put the fruits and vegetables that didn’t sell on the weekend. Items have been repackaged into larger quantities.
I study them closely and darned if those berries didn’t look really fresh. No furry spots, no discolouration.
What would you have done? Me…well, I can’t resist the bargain, even though I know I’m going to have to use those berries up very quickly.
One of my strategies was to slightly re-cobble my very low-cal cobbler recipe and double it from 8 to 16 pieces. We’ve been eating the cobbler since Tuesday, and these are the last two pieces. Delicious!
Makes 8 pieces
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup quinoa flour
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- ½ cup + 2 tbsps. sweetener (For Weight Watchers: Point count is based on the use of a non-sugar sweetener. I used erythritol because it acts like real sugar on the berries.)
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. plain goat yogurt
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups blackberries, washed
- Cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients: rice flour, quinoa flour, tapioca starch, ½ cup erythritol, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix together water, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Spray 8″ x 8″ baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pour cake batter into pan.
- In a small bowl, add blackberries and 2 tbsps. erythritol, and mix gently until fruit is coated.
- Cover cake batter with blackberries.
- Bake in 350° F oven for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean and edges are pulling back from the sides of the pan.
- Do not eat until cool! (This cobbler is a bit gooey if eaten when it’s still hot.) Cut into 8 servings and enjoy!
For Weight Watchers: Each serving is 2 points on the Points plan and 2.5 points on the PointsPlus plan.