Does the food blogosphere need yet another smoothie recipe? Probably not, but bear with me, please. There is method to my madness.
The smoothie story begins on the July 1 weekend when we were celebrating Canada Day on our boat with 3 grandchildren (all early teens) and one daughter.
We were having a grand time until a stomach flu swept through the boat in the middle of the night. I’ll spare you the grim details but it involved throwing up and fevers.
The only positive note was that I lost 5½ lbs.!
Hot summer days just beg for cold, refreshing desserts that are both sweet and tart at the same time. This pie not only delivers on taste, it’s also lovely, light, and very low-cal. Oh, and it’s also a little crunchy, thanks to the chia seeds.
I’ve made this pie with strawberries; then I made it with raspberries (in the photo). I’m sure you could even mix them for a third delicious flavour! And now that I think about it: what about blueberries…?
Many, many thanks to Susan at the Sugar & Spice blog for providing the inspiration for this pie with her delicious Strawberry Lime Chia Pudding.
Servings: Divvy it up any way you want!
- 1 pkg. gelatin (1 tbsp.)
- ¼ tepid water + ¼ boiling water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups strawberries or raspberries
- 2/3 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- ¼-½ cup erythritol sugar, to taste
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- Prepare the gelatin by pouring the powder over the tepid water, adding the boiling water, and then mixing until completely dissolved.
- Prepare lime by juicing it.
- Put gelatin, lime, ¼ cup erythritol, and all other ingredients into a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Taste for sweetness and add remaining ¼ cup erythritol if necessary.
- Pour into an 8″ or 9″ pie plate.
- Refrigerate until set—about 4 hours.
For Weight Watchers: The total pie is worth:
- With soy milk (80 calories/cup): 4 points on the Points plan and 3.5 points on the PointsPlus plan.
- With almond milk (60 calories/cup): 3.5 points on the Points plan and 3 points on the PointsPlus plan.