Tabouli is a wonderful dish. It’s delicious and healthy for you, textured with crunch and snap, and has a lovely smell, dominated by fresh parsley, green onions, and lemon.
Still, from a weight watcher’s perspective, tabouli has problems. It can be heavy in carbohydrates if the ratio between quinoa and vegetables leans towards the quinoa. And many recipes call for more oil than a dieter would want.
How, I wondered, could I make this more of a diet dish while still retaining the tabouli goodness? My solution was to cut the oil dramatically and add new crunchy vegetables, snow peas and green beans, to the classic ingredients of tomato, cucumber, parsley, and green onions. I’m now thinking that I could have also added baby bok choy; I’ll try that next time and let you know.
Remember boiled, overcooked brussel sprouts? The ones that looked awful and tasted worse? Happily, they are a thing of the past. In this recipe, brussel sprouts are cut into quarters, sauteed, and lightly flavoured with garlic, lemon juice, and capers. Delicious! And just as tasty as a cold leftover.
Makes approximately 8 servings
- 1½ – 2 lbs. large Brussel sprouts
- 2 tbsp. chicken broth powder and 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- ¼ – ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp. capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Prepare brussel sprouts by cutting off stem and quartering the buds. Save any leaves that fall loose.
- Using a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, cook chicken broth powder-water mixture until bubbling hot.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add quartered sprouts and extra leaves and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1/4 cup water.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly and adding water if pot goes dry.
- When sprouts are tender (a fork should go into one easily), add capers and lemon juice.
- Take off heat and salt to taste.
For Weight Watchers: 0 points per serving on both the Points and Points Plus. plans.
(Adapted from “Sauteed Brussels Sprout Leaves” in HeartSmart Cooking for Family and Friends by Bonnie Stern)