I was attracted to this recipe because it
- sounded like a tummy-warming, tasty, vegetarian winter stew.
- required a lot of carrots and I’d bought a lot on sale.
- included bean protein, which is always a good and nutritious thing.
- would use up the tomato paste languishing in my fridge.
- needed fresh herbs which I actually had on hand (almost never happens!).
- would help fill up my teenaged grandchildren who were coming to dinner. (The dinner was cancelled after this dish was made, and we’ve been eating it ever since…but that’s another story.)
So I re-fashioned the recipe: eliminated the oil, used more carrots and, generally, simplified where possible. The result was delicious, had delightful grace notes of parsley, and was every bit as warm and filling as I had hoped.