Sweet and Spicy Roasted Carrots
It happened this way: I was staring at a 3 lb. bag of carrots and asked myself, “If that spice mix is so great with sweet potatoes and squash, why wouldn’t it be equally great with carrots?” Yes, such are the profound, metaphysical questions that mark my days.
And, happily, the universe went along because the answer was a resounding “Yes,” not only from the spouse, but also from two grandchildren (aged 13 and 14) who gave it a definitive thumbs up.
- 2.5-3 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (optional; I had some and threw them in. If you are watching your weight and use them, remember to add them in the final calorie or point count.)
- 1 large leek or 2 small ones, sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, finely sliced (to be added, fresh, at the end)
- Cooking spray
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar (I used Splenda’s Brown Sugar Blend.)
- 1 tsp. salt (Use kosher salt if you have it.)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Spray a large shallow pan with cooking spray
- Add all vegetables, except scallions, into the pan.
- Cover pain with foil.
- Roast at 350° F for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil from pan and continue roasting for 30-35 minutes or until carrots can be pierced easily by a fork.
- While vegetables are roasting, prepare spice mix and scallions.
- Put roasted vegetables into a large bowl and add spice mix, mixing to coat well.
- Add scallions and mix.
For Weight Watchers: The entire amount of vegetables contain 1.5 points if you use Splenda and 3 points if you use regular brown sugar. Measure what you have and decide if you need to count the points at all!
*Other useful posts about roasted vegetables: