Chicken and/or Turkey Meatloaf with Broccoli Slaw and Feta Cheese
My granddaughter, Adesia (aged 13), comes regularly on Tuesdays after school to cook with me. My challenge is to keep this sous-chef interested so I always plan to have a culinary experiment on hand to intrigue the both of us.
This Tuesday, that challenge was meatloaf. I had both ground chicken and turkey on hand, and I wanted to expand on my earlier ground turkey recipes* by adding in more vegetables.
When I presented the challenge, the sous-chef only wanted to make sure that the dish would include bread crumbs. “A meatloaf without bread crumbs?” I said. “Heaven forbid.”
(Interestingly, my granddaughter’s desire for breadcrumbs meant that I had to add eggs, which I did by using the 1 egg per 1 pound of meat rubric. These additional ingredients raised the calorie count of the meatloaf, and I think it would be possible to do this dish without either breadcrumbs or eggs.)
All of which is a preamble to the final thumbs-up, high-five result: a delicious, spicy meatloaf with saltiness from the cheese, crunchiness from the slaw and green onions, and occasional sweetness from the dried cranberries. Oh, and it was delicious cold when I had it for lunch today.
Makes 10-12 slices
- 2 lbs. ground chicken or turkey, or a mix of both
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (or a hot sauce if you prefer)
- 1 tsp. salt (taste-test, if you want to add more)
- ¾ cup broccoli slaw
- 2 bunches green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 large sprig of sage leaves (about ¼-½ cup of leaves)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 oz. feta cheese, cut into very small cubes
- Cooking spray
- Prepare vegetables and herbs by placing the slaw, onions, sage leaves, and cranberries in a food processor and blending until they are finely chopped. (The cranberries will be resistant to this process so if they’re likely to be in larger pieces than the rest.)
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients by hand until they are well blended.
- Spray a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Add meat mixture: pressing down, eliminating air bubbles, and smoothing the surface.
- Bake in 375º F oven for 1½ hours or until a thermometer measures 160-165° internal temperature.
- Either drain liquid from the pan and cut, or remove meatloaf and cut on a platter.
- Good hot or cold.
For Weight Watchers: The points in this dish come from the meat, eggs, breadcrumbs, feta cheese, and dried cranberries. The total point-value of all these—minus the meat, which you will have to weigh when cooked—is 17.5 points. In other words, approximately 1.5-1.75 points per slice, depending on how many slices you have cut.
*The other ground turkey recipes are