Kohlrabi Mash with Mushrooms and Cheese
Well, dear readers, food blogging and Star Trek are not so different as you might think.
The show’s slogan was “To boldly go where no man has gone before.” The food blogger’s slogan is “To boldly cook foods never cooked before or in ways never tried before.”
Needless to say, it is full of good nutrients. Needless to say, I had never had the nerve to buy and cook kohlrabi before.
But now I am a weight-loss food blogger who places an emphasis on a high level of vegetable consumption. I have an obligation to buy vegetables I’ve always avoided. Boldly, I bought two tubers and, after studying recipes, boldly merged some ideas together.
It’s good to the palate, easy on the diet, a cinch to make, and chockful of vitamins and minerals.
Makes 2 servings
- 2 kohlrabi tubers, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ yellow onion (¼-½ cup) chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms
- ½ tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ cup sheep romano, grated
- Salt, to taste
- In a medium pan, boil kohlrabi until tender, 20-25 minutes.
- In a skillet, sauté onions, mushrooms, and garlic in chicken broth until tender, about 5 minutes. (Or you could cook these items in a microwave.)
- Put cooked onions, mushrooms, and garlic in a blender and mix until chopped into small pieces.
- Mash kohlrabi with onion-mushroom-garlic mixture. (Mixture will have chunks in it.)
- Mix in cheese.
- Add salt to taste.
- Put mixture into a dish and microwave for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
For Weight Watchers: 1 point per serving on the PointsPlus plan.