Turkey Meatloaf Muffins: It’s All About Portion Control
Then you might find this recipe helpful. Basically, I altered Turkey Burgers with Dried Cranberries into a meatloaf “format,” used sage instead of rosemary, and used a muffin, instead of a loaf, pan.
I had three terrific results: the muffins were as delicious as the burgers (although nothing can beat those burgers when they’re grilled on the barbecue); they cooked in less than half the time for a meatloaf; and (best of all) they provided instant portion control.
I made sure that the meat mixture in each muffin holder was flush with the top edge of the pan. This guaranteed that each muffin would be the same size—for the turkey meatloaf, this came to 3 oz. In other words, I didn’t have to worry about burgers or meatloaf slices of different sizes. Even better, each muffin made one serving—from a psychological standpoint.
Another diet tip: Rather than buying ground turkey, I now buy a boneless turkey breast and put it in the food processor. In seconds I have ground meat and know exactly what type of meat is in it—which is not the case with store-bought ground meat. Also, if I’m adding onions and herbs, I add them to the processor and everything gets mixed together.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- ¼ cup bread crumbs, gluten-free (If you don’t have any, you can substitute with a mild alternative flour.)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
- 1 bunch fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt (This was sufficient for me, but you may want more. See Directions.)
- ¼ tsp. worcestershire sauce
- Cooking spray
- Add all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix with hands until ingredients are well combined.
- Taste mixture to see if it requires additional salt. Add by ¼ tsps., if necessary.
- Prepare muffin tin by spraying each muffin holder with cooking spray.
- Put meat mixture into 6 individual muffin holders.
- Cook at 350° F oven for 30 minutes.
For Weight Watchers: Eat muffin is 3.5 points on the Points plan and 4 points on the PointsPlus plan.