Sweet and Savoury Roasted Beets
I’ve decided to make beets part of my “DIY Roasted Vegetables” diet strategy, namely, to always have cooked veggies available for snacks and general noshing.
The result was this easy-to-make, very colourful, and deliciously sweet dish with a tang of savoury, thanks to some sharp cheese.
Makes approximately 4 servings
Preparation and cooking tips:
- Beets are roasted in their skins. Don’t pierce or cut into the beet before cooking it or its colour, flavour, and vitamins will leach out. Leave at least an inch of stem and root when trimming.
- To avoid dying your fingers red, use rubber gloves when unwrapping the cooked beets, slipping the skins off, and chopping them
- 3 large beets, washed with skin on and trimmed, leaving 1 inch of stem and root
- 1 large sweet onion, washed with skin on
- 4 clementines, peeled and segmented
- 1 cup sheep romano, grated or 4 ounces of soft goat cheese
- Cooking spray
- Wrap beets and onion individually in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake beets and onion in 350° F oven for about 1½ hours.
- Spray a 10″ x 10″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- When beets and onion are cool, unwrap from foil, remove skins, and coarsely chop into the sprayed baking dish.
- Add clementine segments and mix.
- Add cheese, either by mixing in the grated or soft cheese or spreading/dolloping the cheese on the top.
- Bake in 350º F oven for about 25 minutes or until mixture is warm and cheese is melted.
For Weight Watchers: The only point value in the dish is in the cheese. I’ve calculated that this recipe will make approximately 4 serving with roughly 2 points per serving on either the Points or PointsPlus plan, depending on your choice of cheese.
(Adapted from “Roasted Beets” in All Around the World Cookbook by Sheila Lukins.)