Spiced Frozen Bananas
My favourite breakfast is fruit and yogurt so my idea of heaven is a berry season that goes on year-round which, alas and sigh, is not the case here in Ottawa. So bananas are my staple for fall, winter, and spring—that is, until reader and friend, Becky, sent me this recipe.
So what turned me back onto bananas in the summer? The small explosions of what tasted like vanilla ice cream in my fruit-yogurt mix, courtesy of frozen bananas that have been brushed with a light coating of spice.
Of course, you can eat these bananas by themselves for an “ice cream” treat, but I found that mixing them with other fruit minimized the banana flavour (which I can get in other seasons) and emphasized the vanilla ice cream taste.
Makes 8 servings of ¼ banana each
- 2 bananas
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract (pure is better than artificial)
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon (the original called for allspice which I don’t like but you may)
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- Prepare bananas by quartering them.
- Mix vanilla extract and spices.
- Using a brush, apply spice mixture on all sides of bananas.
- Place bananas cut-side down on wax paper.
- Freeze for at least 30 minutes before using.
- Cut into small slices and add to a fruit mixture.
For Weight Watchers: .5 point per serving for the Points plan and 0 points for the PointsPlus plan.