Turkey Quinoa Meatloaf
As my husband and I are eating less and less red meat, I’ve been turning to turkey to fill some of the gaps. Hence, for example, the Turkey Burgers post last month. The trick, as I noted then, was to counter turkey’s bland flavour by adding spices and other ingredients to enrich it.
In this recipe, the flavour of ground turkey is enhanced primarily by quinoa, fresh sage, and a little bit of tomato paste. The result is a tasty, healthy meatloaf, high in protein and low in fat.
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce
- 1 tbsp. salt
- Cooking spray
- Add all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix with hands until ingredients are well combined.
- Taste mixture to see if it requires additional seasonings.
- Spray a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan and fill it with meat mixture.
- Bake in a 350° F oven for 75 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the center reaches at least 160° F.
- Drain liquid and let cool for 10 minutes.
For Weight Watchers: Your points depend on your serving size. Cut your serving and weigh it, counting 1 point per ounce. Then add .5 point for the quinoa and egg if you’ve made 8 or more slices. Good for both the Points and PointsPlus plans.
(This recipe was adapted from “Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf” by Drew at allrecipes.com. You can also check out the 13 custom versions by other chefs at that page.)