Quick Blueberry (or any fruit) Quinoa Bake
Yum, blueberries, yum, coconut…and that’s just for starters. I like a good breakfast that includes protein (or I’m hungry by 10:00 a.m.), and this bake is filling and chock-a-block full of healthy nutrients. In addition to the fruit, it includes two recently lauded superfoods: quinoa (protein) and chia seeds (good-for-you fats and protein). Who can argue with sweet, beneficial, and satisfying? Yum!
The key to this bake’s great taste is the fruit. It requires fresh, ripe fruit. I made it with strawberries as well, but the berries we get at this time of year are imported, a bit “woody,” and nowhere near as as flavorful as the local berries when they’re in season. The result: good, but not great. The blueberries (also imported) were much better. Next time, I’m going to try peaches. This is a recipe that calls out for experimenting.
Update: I made this with freshly harvested local strawberries. Delicious!
Makes 1 serving
- ¼ cup blueberries (or any other fruit)
- ¼ cup quinoa flakes
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. applesauce
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- Cooking spray
- Mash blueberries to form a pulp.
- Mix in quinoa, sugar, chia seeds, apple sauce, and coconut.
- Spray an 8-oz. (½ cup) baking dish (I use small pyrex containers) with cooking spray.
- Press blueberry mixture into dish, smoothing the surface.
- Microwave at High for 3-3.5 minutes. According the original recipe, you know it’s done because it has risen slightly, is harder to the touch, and pulls away from the side of the dish. The strawberry bake did rise, but the blueberry didn’t. No problem…it was cooked—even crunchy!
For Weight Watchers: 7 points in both the Points and PointsPlus plans.
(Adapted from “5 minute Strawberry Quinoa Flake Bake” at Healthful Pursuit.