Coconut Mango Bread or Squares
I’ve made this recipe both as a bread and squares but, following my desire for small portions, I think I’ll keep to squares. I know, I know…I could cut a bread slice in half and get the same caloric intake, but not the same mental satisfaction. The other half of the bread slice would sit there, just begging to be consumed. A square, on the other hand, is an entity unto itself, happily eaten as a stand-alone. (Such are the mental gymnastics of the dieter.)
Makes 8 bread slices or 16 squares
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour/starch
- ¼ cup quinoa flour
- ½ cup sweetener (Note: Weight Watcher point values are based on the use of artificial sugar.)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup shredded coconut, sweetened
- 1 cup puréed mango (approximately 1 large or 2 small)
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2½ tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
- Cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flours, sugar, spices, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Add coconut to dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: mango, egg, vanilla, applesauce, and oil.
- Gradually add dry ingredients into wet ingredients, mixing after each addition. (Final batter will be thick but will pour well. I found this batter to be more liquid than many others that I make with gluten-free flours.)
- Spray 9″ x 9″ baking pan or 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Pour in batter and bake in 350º F oven, 25-30 minutes for squares or 55-60 minutes for bread, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
For Weight Watchers:
- Squares: 1 square of 16 squares is 1.5 points on the Points plan and 1.75 points on the PointsPlus plan.
- Bread: 1 slice of 8 slices is 3 points on the Points plan and 3.5 points on the PointsPlus plan.
(Altered from “Mango Coconut Bread” at http://www.briarrosebb.com/r/mango-coconut-bread.html)