Elegant enough for a dinner party, this risotto is smooth and creamy, enriched by pumpkin and romano cheese, but made without the traditional oil, cream, and wine—all ingredients which move it way out of the dieter’s range.
Makes 4 1-cup servings
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. chicken broth powder and ½ cup water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1¼ cups pumpkin purée, unsweetened
- 6 tbsp. sheep romano cheese, grated
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- Artificial sugar and salt to taste
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan and then reduce heat, keeping it at a simmer.
- Using a large, non-stick pan, heat chicken broth powder–water mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add rice and cook, stirring, until the outer shell is translucent, about 1 minute.
- Add 1½ cups of broth and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue to add broth ½ cup at a time, stirring each time until it is absorbed, until rice is just tender. This should take about 20 minutes of steady stirring. If you run out of broth, add warm water by ½ cups.
- Lower heat to medium.
- Mix in pumpkin purée, cheese, and spices.
- Taste and add artificial sugar and salt if necessary.
For Weight Watchers: 4 points for a 1-cup serving on the Points plan and 5 points for a 1-cup serving on the PointsPlus plan.
(Adapted from “Pumpkin Risotta” in Best of Weight Watchers Magazine.)