Slimmed-Down Turnip Puff
Turnips don’t get much respect, but they can be light and tasty as in this baked dish of mashed turnips, which are slightly sweetened and spiced and then covered with a breadcrumb topping.
Makes 6 ½-cup servings
- 6 cups cubed turnips
- ½ cup liquid egg substitute
- 3 tbsp. rice flour
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar, packed or sugar substitute
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup non-wheat, soft breadcrumbs (to make breadcrumbs, see video below)
- 1 tbsp. shortening, melted
- Cooking spray
- Put turnip in a large pot and cover with water.
- Boil until turnip cubes are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Drain and mash. (You will have lumps and that’s okay.)
- Add liquid egg substitute and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt to taste.
- Stir dry ingredients into turnip mixture.
- Spray a 1.5 quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Pour turnip mixture into the casserole.
- Mix breadcrumbs and melted butter.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top of the turnip mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until light brown on top.
For Weight Watchers: 2 points per ½-cup serving on the Points plan and 2.5 points per ½-cup serving on the PointsPlus plan.
(Adapted from “Turnip Puff” by Tebo on www.food.com)