The Artfully Braised Artichoke
No butter, no stuffing, almost no calories—just a delicious and healthful artichoke recipe that is also breathtakingly simple.
Makes 2-4 servings
- 2 artichokes
- 2 tbsp. of chicken broth powder
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. lemon juice (optional)
- Prepare the artichokes for braising: Trim stems, cut off the pointed edges of the artichoke leaves with kitchen shears, cut each artichoke in half, and then cut out the hairy choke with a knife or spoon with serrated edges (see video below).
- Put chicken broth powder and water in a small skillet that comes with a lid.
- Heat to a boil and add minced garlic and the lemon juice.
- Place artichoke halves cut-side down in the broth.
- Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until stem is soft.
Need help with preparing the artichoke? The video below was made by Mark Bittman who created the recipe from which mine was adapted. He demonstrates how to remove the choke. I have found that a grapefruit spoon with serrated edges works better than a spoon.
For Weight Watchers: 0 points in the Points plan and the PointsPlus pan.
(Adapted from “Artichokes Take a Dip in a Pool of Stock” by Mark Bittman, published in the New York Times.