You could also vary its flavour by reducing the artificial sugar and adding actual corn kernels as was done in the original recipe (see the bottom of this page). Although if you do add corn, remember to up the Weight Watcher point count accordingly.
- 1 cup ground cornmeal
- ½ cup quinoa flour
- ½ cup sweetener (Note: Weight Watcher points for this recipe are based on the use of artificial sugar.)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 egg
- 1 cup soy or other alternative milk, unsweetened
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Cooking spray
- In one bowl, whisk together cornmeal, quinoa flour, sweetener, salt, baking powder, and xanthum gum.
- In a second, larger bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and oil.
- Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients and mix together (batter will be thick).
- Spray a bread pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 400° F or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Slice while warm.
For Weight Watchers: Total point value of the entire recipe is 24 points on the Points plan and 28 points on the PointsPlus plan. In the picture above, the bread was sliced into 8 pieces. Thus each slice is worth 3 points on the Points plan and 3.5 points on the PointsPlus plan.
(Adapted from “Quinoa Corn Bread” on Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free at http://gluten-dairy-sugarfree.com/?p=778)